MSPE: Over sixty years of service to the Commonwealth
The Massachusetts Society of Professional Engineers (MSPE) commemorates 2012 as the society’s 60thanniversary of service to the Commonwealth. MSPE is the state society of licensed engineering professionals from all disciplines that promotes the ethical and competent practice of engineering, advocates licensure, enhances public health and safety, and fosters respect for the engineering profession. MSPE is a part of the National Society of Professional Engineers, which was founded in 1934.
A History of Growth
MSPE was organized in 1937 to provide professional engineers with a unified voice to promote standards of ethical practice of engineering, recognition of professional engineers’ contributions to health, safety, welfare and improvements in the standard of living enjoyed by society, to encourage continuing education, address the professional practice concerns of engineers and to educate the public about the risks associated with unqualified practitioners. The Society grew as an informal organization until December 19, 1957 when it was granted a corporate charter by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Service to the Commonwealth
In the 60 years since incorporation, the Society’s range of services has expanded to include:
- Coordination of MathCounts, a program that encourages and rewards middle school students for proficiency in mathematics;
- Regional conferences that promote the ethical practice of engineering;
- Programs to encourage and assist graduate engineers to obtain a Professional License;
- Educating the public about the benefits of technical services provided by Professional Engineers;
- Support for improvements that enhance public health, safety, welfare and quality of life;
- Educational grants for students pursuing engineering studies;
- Support for Homes-for-the-Troops, a Massachusetts charity that provides specially-built homes for severely-disabled veteran at no-cost;
- Educational programs that enhance the skills and experience of practicing professional engineers
MSPE also sponsors an annual forum with the Massachusetts Board of Registration, to promote a highly-interactive discussion and exchange of ideas regarding current issues facing the Board and the practice of engineering in the Commonwealth.
A number of MSPE members volunteer their time and professional expertise as board members of various public organizations throughout the commonwealth, such as the Department of Housing and Community Development.